Friday, December 16, 2005

 

Big round numbers

I uploaded a new picture today and noticed my image database count was at 2000 pictures. I know I have more images than that online* but I still thought "Ooh, 2000, that's a lot". I didn't think that at 1999, and I doubt I'll think it at 2001, but it's difficult to avoid attributing significance to big round numbers. We do it with birthdays too; strange really. I offer no attempt to explain why this happens but to complement the observation here is image number 2000. Her name is Jas and she's stuffed with significance, as I'm sure you can see.

Thinking about it, it's not just big round numbers that we imbue with mysterious significance. I love a good coincidence too; chance occurences that seem so purposeful but are... well... just chance. It's lovely. Even lovelier than a big round number.

And that's saying something.

*I hide some away if I turn against them for any reason, but leave them online as some people still link to them and I have an irrational hatred of dead links.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?